Because no cookout/tailgate party is complete without potato salad, here are two quick-and-easy variations:
Lemony Potato Salad
- 3 pounds small boiling potatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 4 ribs)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Cover potatoes with water in a large pot and season well with salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, 12 to 20 minutes.
While potatoes cook, stir together celery, mayonnaise, chives, lemon zest and juice, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
Drain potatoes and cool completely, then halve or quarter. Add to dressing and toss to coat.
Red Potato Salad
- 12 cups cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cook potatoes, covered in boiling water, 10 minutes, or until tender; drain well and cool.
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, bell pepper and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over potato mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
See you in the stands!