Buchanan Log House | Nashville Historic Homes
The Buchanan Log House is another prominent Nashville Historic Home worthy of sharing.
The two-story log house was built from 1807 to 1808 of chestnut logs and poplar floors. The home’s original limestone fireplaces were located on each end of the home – an architectural aspect of the home that was changed overtime as additions to the home were constructed.
The home was built by James Buchanan and his wife Lucinda East. Additions were added by the Buchanan’s to accommodate their quickly growing family, which eventually totaled 16 children. Two other residents of the home were prominent Middle Tennesseans Judge Thomas N. Frazier and his son, James Beriah Frazier. The two purchased the log home in 1867, adding a second addition in 1900. Judge Frazier is most known for being a Criminal Court Judge for Rutherford and Davidson County who was impeached during the Reconstruction Days for interference in the ratification of the 14th Amendment, however he was restored to his position in 1870. His son, James, was governor from 1903-1905 and served as a U.S. Senator from 1905-1911.
Buchanan Log House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.The home is open for guided tours during the summer months of April through September from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with an appointment, and guided tours without an appointment are offered during the 1st and 4th Sunday of each month between the hours of 1 and 4 p.m. For more information, including details about ticket pricing, visit the log house website here or call (615) 871-4524.
The Buchanan Log House is holding a Fish Fry & Silent Auction Fundraiser on Friday, May 18th from 4-7 p.m. to raise money for the upkeep of the home. The Fish Fry will include fresh catfish, french fries, white beans, hushpuppies and drinks as well as the Nashville Old Time String Band. Be sure to stop by this event and support this historic marker that is known and loved in Middle Tennessee. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit here.