Bowen Plantation | Nashville Historic Homes
Built around 1787, the Bowen House is truly a Tennessee treasure. The home is a two-story, Federal style brick home found in Goodlettsville, Tenn. in Sumner County.
The plantation’s owner, Captain William Bowen, was awarded and grants for his military services during the Revolutionary War. Bowen brought his wife, Mary, along with their four young children to the Cumberland Valley in 1784 to set up their homestead. Here, they built a double log cabin on Mansker’s Creek and occupied it until 1787.
In 1787, they moved into the home that would later beome known as Bowen Plantation. The brick home was the first to be built in Tennessee, and in this home their family grew to 10 children and Bowen’s work paid off, too, with his new settlement becoming prosperous and his owned land multiplying to over 4,000 acres.
The Bowen family lived in their home all of their days. William died in 1804, Mary in 1827, and their house was occupied by their son, also William, until it was sold in 1835.
The plantation was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977 and today is being restored to its original, 1790s style and is open for tours. For more information about the home and to schedule a tour, call 615-859-3678.